Tuesday, May 30, 2006

No Brushfire Left Behind

I know the expression "flying by the seat of your pants" is American (at least I think it is), but it seems some people have begun taking established cards and making up the rules for the card as they go along.

Take this question that was posted on the CCGW forums just today:

"Do the rules prevent the playing of multiple brushfires from the discard?

About half of the people I play say that 'any one brushfire' means that I can play more than one and the other half says it means I can only play one."

Let's have a look at the card:



The card is a dual region card - the Cald version is shown above. The region is not the issue here, and since it is a spell, the usual regional restriction and regional penalties apply.

The text of the card in question here is:

"Once per turn, you may play any one Brushfire from your discard pile as if it were in your hand."

So what does it mean? Let's break it down:

You may play: This simply means you may pay the cost and use the effect of the card
any one Brushfire: One and only one and not two or three, but any one of it, either the cald one or the weave one
from your discard pile: Go look through your discard pile and only your discard pile. Not your deck, not your hand, not your opponent's deck or discard pile or hand. Just your discard pile.
as if it were in your hand: so that any effects that triggers when you play a spell from your hand will trigger

Put it all together: Go look through your discard pile, grab your favourite copy of Brushfire, be it the one that was defaced by Holmberg at GenCon 2002 or the one you improved upon the art by painting the rabbit creature bright yellow, pay the cost for it from your magi - usually two, but you might have cost reduction cards in play like a Rayje's Construct, or alternatively, you might have to pay the regional penalty of 1e, while remembering that the regional restriction applies, so if your magi is core, unless you have some way of playing a cald or weave card, you can't play it - then do what the card says, choose a creature and remove two energy from it, effects and interruptive spells trigger at the appropriate times as a spell is played as if from hand - so remove an extra one energy if you have a scroll of fire in play and one less energy if the chosen creature's magi has a weave hut in play, for example - and when all is done discard the card from play - i.e. it goes into your discard pile.

With me so far? Good. So how many times can you play the card? Well, the first part of the special text says "Once per turn". Now, usually "once" means one time and "once per turn" would mean "one time every turn". Can you do the same thing next turn with the same copy of Brushfire? What does the card say? "Once per turn..." How many times every turn? "Once per turn..."

I have no idea how else to explain that phrase which would make the meaning of the card easier to understand. Texas used to have a "No Child Left Behind" policy. I wonder if it should be applied to the rest of the world...

Labels:

1 Comments:

At May 30, 2006 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting....

I know I have misread a few cards here and there. I think I am doing better. I can't recall which cards they are anymore since I think I've been using the more correct interpretation of them recently.

As for myself, when I am in doubt, I try and favor the interpretation that benefits my opponent. It's my rule of thumb. It doesn't mean that I am great at applying it, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home