Saturday, June 03, 2006

Tall Grass In The Mountains

Last night I was online before bed hoping to get in a game of Magi-Nation.

I had been on earlier, but there was a bunch to do around the place and my wife wanted the phone to make some calls. Ah, the joys of dialup. Fortunately, dialup seems to work just fine for playing Magi-Nation online with the gatlingEngine.

Anyways, there was a number of people online concurrently. Birdie21 was among them. We chose to play a game towards the Summer League. Birdie21 had just finished another game previously. I chose to go with my Weave deck. It was unaltered from way back when it seems when I had done some playtesting of the magi, Rabid Sagaweave, and Photosynthesis. By the time our game was done, I realized that the final version of Crasz no longer belongs in my deck.

As for our game, birdie21 went first with Kyg'n, Impervious. Kyg'n played out an Akkar and drew cards. Ahdar starts off my Weave playtest deck. I debated pulling the Lascinth only, or maybe the Uwamar and Lascinth. In the end, I just pulled the Uwamar for his starting cards. Ahdar would end up playing two Uwamar, a Drowl, Vuryip, and a Brushfire on that first turn. While this did give Kyg'n a boost with the Akkar, the two Uwamar would help Ahdar put in a good fight on energy gains. Kyg'n held his ground and played an Urigant. Two very invulnerable creatures stood waiting for my Weave deck to unwind. And, unwind it did. Weave Seed on the Vuryip made for some heavy hitting. Kyg'n would last a few turns, but my Weave deck was attacking like it was built to do. The Drowl didn't last long, but the Vuryip managed to net a good many cards over several turns. After Kyg'n, Ahdar would face off against Kazm. The Oranragan and Giant Baldar would come out, wiping out Kesia's Flute shortly after I had played it. Kazm and Ahdar would battle for a few turns. What was really annoying was the Stand and Take It placed upon the Giant Baldar. I would end up sacrificing a one energy Tropical Jumbor to eliminate the spell. Although, I would end up going after all the other Kybar's Teeth creatures first until I had that small creature to sacrifice. The deadlock between the two magi would continue for several turns. When it looked like I could get the Giant Baldar with Sawgrass, Kazm put a Sagawal into play. Ahdar would play out a Lascinth to put a cramp into Kazm's offense. On my next turn, Ahdar played Weave Seed on the Lascinth to do some serious damage and keep it alive enough to threaten Kazm. A Warrior's Boots later with a Seaweed Lascinth would keep Ahdar going a bit longer. In the end, Kazm got Ahdar byattacking and then sacrificing the one energy creature to Topple. The Uwamars had already been eliminated. Gravity wasn't exactly their friend. Now it was time for Crasz. I hadn't played with this deck since before Tainted Glimpses was finalized, so I found myself playing with a magi with nothing to do with the deck. There was not one Zassyfer in my deck. Crasz would put in the good fight though. It was a challenge to play with the energize of four in a deck built primarily for an energize of five. Crasz did make it past Kazm and faced off against Groll the Fallen. Birdie21 revealed a powerful combo at this point that I had never seen before. Groll played Kybar's Fang and used his power to go after my creatures. This is when weave would be very useful. By weaving away my creature's energy, I was able to reduce what Groll gained just a little. From here on out, I would be forced to play with a creature count no greater than Groll's. This made things real tough for Crasz. On the positive side, Weave was borrowing a spell from Nar for relic destruction. While the Fang was impervious to the discard, the next sentence in Shattershards made a Vopok pay the price. While the Vopok had received a blessing from a Galiant in play, this heavy hit allowed Crasz to finish it off. In the end, Crushing Stones defeated a thrashed Crasz. Halla would find little resistance from a thoroughly exhausted Groll. It was a good game. Kybar's Fang really prevented me from swarming when I really wanted to go all out. Oh, I suppose I could've done a nasty swarm anyways, but that would've opened up a massive energy floodgate for Groll. And Kazm? Oh my. It was a tough battle to not give him any extra energy either. These two Kybar's Teeth magi helped keep Weave in check.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home