Sunday, March 06, 2005

A Cald Tiller

I managed to get in my third test, or trial, of one of my recent creations. This time I used Tiller to lead off two Cald magi. Good Ol' Ashgar second with Garstev on the end. Tiller drew early and was burning some extra energy on regional penalties. However, I wasn't really displeased with his performance. A few Cald/Naroom creatures helped provide some breathing room. My opponent was playing a Kybar's Teeth deck. Ullig and her Slingshot can be a little annoying. Ullig took out Tiller and Good Ol' Ashgar slugged it out with Ullig. I made a few mistakes. One was forgeting a Brushfire already in the discard pile. Novelty was an observer in the game and asked about that. That would've been a lot cheaper than hitting with Wildfire across two opposing creatures just to keep on some pressure and wipe one out. Good Ol' Ashgar had Rayje's Shield in play and kept growing two Granas with it as he struggled to find some good cards to try create some Cald efficiency. As it is, other than another mistake upon Wessig, the second Kybar's Teeth magi, Good Ol' Ashgar did a modest job of fighting back. Toasting as much as possible in spells/powers helped minimize the damage from Ullig's Slingshot. As for Wessig, Wildfire was now a good choice, but I chose to attack and eliminate the wrong creature. The energy gained from the shield was lost at the beginning of their turn. When they played things out so that Wessig had no energy and one creature in play, they had also played Vertigo. This created a small dilemna. I had been hoping to use the Crushing Heat I had just drawn to make for a safer defeat of Wessig. Denied this since the creature was just a bit too big to be crushed without aid, I opted to sacrifice Good Ol' Ashgar instead. Using the Boomstick left him without energy and without creatures when Wessig's effect resolved. Targ'n tossed out four creatures. I had a good selection going into Garstev, so I tossed down one Ergar, two Giant Arboll, and one Ember Hyren. By the turns end, between spells and powers, there was no Kybar's creatures in play and at least one of them had been crushed to eliminate effects from his magi and relics. He did get two of my creatures on his next turn, but it was really game at that point. All I had to do was burn his only surviving creature since there was no energy on his magi. I made a lot of mistakes in that game, but I was generally pleased with things. Novelty did comment that it wasn't the best tournament deck he had seen that day. I don't think I would let that discourage me from playing this deck, but I still have several decks to test out before then too. Oh yeah, from what I saw, my opponent's deck was supposed to be a perpetual motion deck.

1 Comments:

At March 06, 2005 11:17 PM, Blogger Novelty said...

That's the thing with Weave cards like Brushfire. Not only you count what's in your hand, but also what's in your discard. Daybreak, it that ever sees the light of day will see quite a few Weave cards in this category, and Twilight War will focus mostly on this strategy, if it ever gets done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home