Friday, March 04, 2005

Giant Furok

This evening was devoted to a business meeting. With only about forty-five minutes to spare before the meeting, I logged onto gEngine to either get in a quick game or build those four deck ideas I drafted in my planner. As it was, I managed to pick up a quick game. I know it is not yet time for the tournament, but I chose one of my possible decks for a quick test run. Tiller started off, followed by Evil Evu and Warrada, Simulacrum. The game did finish within the thirty or so minutes I had. It was a somewhat interesting game, so I think I will write a quick summary of some of the highlights.

Tiller tossed down a Furok and the Weebo he starts with on the first turn. A quick Bythan's Gift and that left an eleven energy Furok in play. A risky move. I was really worried that Sorreah would turn out to be his first magi and hit quickly and efficiently with Shockwave. As it was, they played Karse and his monstrous and much feared Cawh. With Overgrowth attached, it had potential to be a real long-term threat. On my next turn, I used Tiller's power to scrounge for cards. A quick Tap Roots evened out the two creatures. Cawh would survive the attack by three energy. With the energy returns from the Furok left Tiller in good shape to play Weebo back out and a Crushing Roots finished off the Cawh. On their next turn, they played a Drowl. Warrior's Boots with Alpine Xamf then setup a nice energy gain for a Wasperine. This was sufficient to overpower the Drowl and Karse. An Ormagon with Relaura finished off Tiller. Evil Evu answered with two Wasperines on an undefended Relaura. A Forest Jile boosted those Wasperines. Relaure played Spirit of the Moonlands. This would help their final magi, Gogor. With a good roll with his power, my creatures were toasted. Evil Evu would be left struggling. In the end, I would attack with a three energy creature on a Pylofuf and then played out the remaining energy on Evil Evu with a creature. This creature was destroyed on their turn in an attack. Warrada Simulacrum would toss out several Forest Wudge (all 3) and a Giant Carillion. I stomped one of the Pylofufs. They rolled a one on Gravelstorm, so they attacked to eliminate the carillion. I had another in hand, so I played out another and stomped the other Pylofuf. Gogor then played the third Pylofuf, adding energy to the beatup wudges. He then played out a couple spells attached to the Pylofuf. Overgrowth and Dream Channel. The first spell alone cut off the ability to use Gravelstorm. Once this happened, I breathed a whole lot easier. Another Bythan's Gift and the Giant Carillion was quite ready to stomp once again. This is where the game ended with "gg." Gogor wouldn't have survived the turn without Spirit of Rayje.

That was a good test of that deck. With nine more decks and a limited time to work with, I wonder what I will play with. I already played a half game with another of the eleven ideas. I know I won't have time to even test half of the decks. I figure at least a third of them probably have some real issues keeping them from being good decks, but without testing I don't think I will know what is their problem(s) yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home