Friday, July 08, 2005

Fighting the Hurricane

For my second game this month, surprisingly quick after the other one, I had the opportunity to play NightmareMJ. I found out that they live in the Florida Keys where a bunch of commotion is happening due to a real life hurricane. In honor of that, they put together a hurricane deck.

I had an Underneath deck completely untested, although it was based heavily off of my own burrow deck. So, it was burrow with some Tainted Glimpses versus a hurricane.

Burrow dug in deep early on. Although NightmareMJ went first and started off with Sorreah, getting the Hidden Door among Romura's starters really made a good opening. Coming up with the other copy in the starting hand, I chose to play both copies fetching all four of my relics, two Digging Goggles, Strag's Ring, and Strag's Claws. Tossing down with a Burrowed Weebo and using the relic to burrow Moldy Syre, Sorreah gained some energy from the Hurricane Orish and lost the Flutter Yup to the Syre's power. It took a couple turns, but attacking with two burrowed creatures and Strag's Claws was a powerful opening. This left only one copy of Digging Goggles in my hand. Trogovo did make a showing. This cut into my energize, but the original deck this was based on is meant to survive at four and five for an energize rate. When Voice of the storm flipped, the Hurricane Orish returned and was accompanied by a Xyx Minor. Tidal Wave took both my burrowed creatures. I ended up sacrificing the Trogovo to beat a real big and ugly looking Hurricane Orish. The goal was to get it without triggering its effect. Storm Shield had really boosted it up. With no energy on Voice, Abwyn's Quill couldn't rewrite the Ormalet. It didn't seem like Voice lasted long. For the final magi, NightmareMJ revealed Velouria. That made the deck look very interesting.

At this point I am regretting that this game was rather one sided for two reasons. First, I don't remember who my second magi is. I didn't even remember that Romura was first. Two of the magi are in here from Tainted Glimpses, but I don't recall the order. Second, it looks like NightmareMJ has put together something really cool, but I am only getting glimpses and hints thus far.

Now, I am not sure which magi hit me with Storm of Fishes, but it did wipe out some of my cool spell combos. However, I was really strong in the creatures at that point since the first Trogovo had been left in play a couple turns. Velouria tossed out good with an Orathan Flyer and Brannix. That was solved with hitting the Flyer with my burrowed Ormalet. My critter was small, so it didn't make for an automatic kill. However, one Crystal Arboll and Urigant later, the Ormalet used its power. No more Orathan Flyer, so I turned Strag's Ring from burrowing my critters to targeting the Brannix which is conveniently dug up by own Urigant. In the end Romura went all the way when Velouria gambled with an Xyx Elder dice roll leaving the magi without energy and without creatures.

Now that I think about it, I should've just peeked at my next magi before I logged out of the game. Then, I would know who comes next and could've made a note somewhere to remind myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home