Monday, September 05, 2005

Mountainous Cawh

Or, should I say the lack thereof.

It seems ultradoug was somewhat driven by something malovis had said to create a deck that turned Cawh into a Kybar's Teeth creature using a rather interesting setup with Aula Mindseeker and Niffer. After playing a game with someone else and a couple independent tests, I agreed to play a game against the deck. Granted, at the time I agreed I had no idea what his deck was to do except that it took two magi to setup. Knowing that my restricted Weave deck started with Ahdar and his effect could be fed by many massive card draw techniques, I went ahead made sure that I got the deck and the magi pile in the correct slots this time.

Aula Mindseeker went first. This gave a good start on their card draw, and one turn that Ahdar couldn't tap into it. After that, Ahdar went nuts. I actually had a Drowl show up in my starting hand, and with another to follow it up while still playing creatures, Ahdar actually was netting a good number of cards himself. By the end of Aula's next turn and several card draw spells and powers later, I had half my deck in my hand. Yes, twenty cards. No Warrior's Boots, but that was unnecessary. Ahdar had plenty to take on Aula. Niffer flipped and declared Weave for Allies. After placing Abwyn's Quill, a Weave Mind defeated her and placed Kazm out front. Apparently, this is where the combo was supposed to unfold. Cleansing had made Corrupt a Kybar's Teeth spell much earlier in the game. However, with no Cawh in hand, ultradoug played out a Sea Barl and attached Dream Channel as well Overgrowth to it. They also played Transmogrification (I probably spelled that wrong) to put Jasker's Mask into play. A Flood of Energy later, and things were looking a little better for Kazm. They were also looking better for Ahdar. On my turn, I started by playing the Weave Seed forgetting all about the quill. Ultradoug renamed the region and the barl ended up gaining the energy instead. Both the Drowl wove off the Uwamar and still got rid of the barl. Bungaloo got in a free hit and then I tossed out big. Lots of Weave creatures. Kazm failed to draw the Cawh until the end of the next turn. By this time, it was too late. Unless I didn't attack, Kazm couldn't survive the swarm of critters.

Once Kazm was considered defeated, ultradoug then revealed to us (there was an observer) that the deck would rewrite Corrupt so it made the Cawh a Kybar's Teeth creature instead of Core using the quill. This would allow the Cawh to trigger Kazm's effect since it refers to Kybar's Teeth specifically. Overgrowth and Flood of Energy would be used to grow the Cawh and to do massive damage that way.

I still had fun seeing an otherwise unusual and interesting game, even if the combo of the other deck was never revealed in actual gameplay. I think that's the most I've had Ahdar go nuts on card draw too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home