Thursday, April 14, 2005

Recipe for Frostbite

People wonder how find all these great artwork. Well, for most of them I don't. I make them. Some of them aren't really up to scratch, but for custom cards, I guess they are passable. Let's take Frostbite Ickle as an example.

1. Start with the creature.
The reason why there are so many repeat creature types is because it's easy to modify an existing piece of art. That and also players have been asking for more of their favourite creature type. So, the Frostbike Ickle starts with an Ickle...


2. Add modifications.
I really don't like those ears as wings on the Ickle, so let's change them. Proper wings? Now where have I seen those recently... ah, I know... this image:


That's from Rich Werner's site. Nice pair of wings there. Add that to the Ickle image... now all that's left is the background.

3. Choose a background.
This is a flying creature. All I have to do is provide one backgrounds - not too difficult, let's steal a Holmberg one from somewhere... say the calendars.


Now put them all together.... and because it's Frostbite draw in a mouth...


And there you have it... how to make fake MND card art 101.

Why am I posting this? People have been asking me if they could make their own custom cards. Basically, text is fine and all, but artwork is always a pain for most people. Well, see, it's not exactly rocket science now, is it?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home