Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Weak Rolling Surf

Last night I got in another game for the Magi-Nation Summer League. I was originally going to play ultradoug, but my copy of gatlingEngine apparently crashed. I got a constant stream of error logs. As soon as I would fill out and submit one, the next would appear. After a while, it became apparent that I wouldn't get past them and into the game. I had to use the task manager to close gEngine to get out of there. I posted this on the forums so that hopefully ultradoug will get their lost credit back. So, I ended up playing YT Sno. I went with a deck that I thought should either lead to a quick victory or a quick defeat. Or, so I hoped. Dinner was beginning to smell good....

I went first with Aula, Mindseeker. As usual, I started with just the Typhoon. With no other card draw in the opening hand, I used her power. This net me a Sea Barl and Deep Barl for later use. Having one set of Hubdra's Cube and Orlon's Ring in my opening bit left me the chance to start some extra energy gains for Aula, except I forgot to use purity at the end of my first turn. Oh, well. I would resolve to not forget for the rest of the game. I had played a Reef Hyren, so when Delia popped up, I would use Rebuke heavily. Delia ignored the Reef Hyren at first to blast the seven energy Sea Barl into oblivion. Ouch! I was hoping that the Reef Hyren would grab the attention of Shockwaves to preserve my card draw a bit. Aula would last a few turns and fall to Delia's swarming madness. What bothered me was getting two copies each of the cube and ring in my first few turns. Quilla starts with any two Orothe relics, and with only nine or so in the deck altogether, I needed card draw more than I needed my energy combo. Quilla would take advantage of this though. I debated just grabbing more of my Orothe relics from the deck, but I know some would claim that if there are any relics in the discard pile, then I need to choose from those whether they are the ones I want to choose or not. YT Sno never said anything like this, but I decided to go ahead and grab the one ring and cube from the discard. Quilla would end up going back and forth with Delia a little. However, Quilla was putting a number of relics quickly. At one point, after energizing, Quilla had twenty energy on her, almost as much as she started off with. This massive energy gain was worrying. Good for me. Potentially bad for my opponent. Koriko would end up facing off against Quilla. When the vemments began to lay down, I was really wishing I had drawn the Phrup one turn earlier. In my hand, it did me no good. Three Barreling Vemments was sure trouble, and the normal Vemment has some Orothe hostility built in. I had forgotten that bit. Anyways, I figured my best chance at this point was a Typhoon. I didn't need a big roll to wipe them all out. I just needed to hurt them real bad. So, what do I roll? A one. The only dice roll that was too small to do me any good. Koriko would toss down a Storm Ring and defeated Quilla while adding back that one energy to three of the four vemments. This put Bhrubi in a bad spot. With the Barreling Vemments all still in play, she didn't stand much of a chance. I did calculate out that I could have played my turn a little differently to buy another turn. I chose instead to just do as much damage as I could. Why? Because that one extra turn would only leave Bhrubi in an unrecoverable position. There was nothing in my hand to deal with the problem I faced, and she wouldn't have enough energy on my next turn to implement anything that could turn potentially turn things around. So, I played out my turn, even to the point of using purity once more (remember I had two copies of the ring in my hand from early on in the game), and then I declared "gg." YT Sno commented about the relic hate of my deck and stated that there was one thing they had forgotten when putting together their deck. Relic destruction. Yes, I stole and discarded all three relics YT Sno played do to the cube and ring combo. It also explained why YT Sno never disrupted that combo either. Well, it was fun to play my messed up Orothe deck with its Tainted Glimpses modifications. It was also interesting to see the final form the Speag Strangler.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home