Thursday, March 10, 2005

Ploomb!

So, stalker got hold of me today. He apologized for the delay in getting the image to me, but, hey, it's not like it's that easy to do art, right? After one failed attempt to send the file, I finally got it and I must say it wasn't really amazing or anything at first sight. I decided, hey, why not and started colouring a cup - what looks to me like the cup of a pitcher plant anyways. That turned out better than expected, so I started on a leaf. That was good as well.




So here I was, with a leaf and a cup coloured in and wondering what I should do next. Decided to coloured in two more of the cups and they weren't as good as the first one, but good enough for me. Now I'm seriously wondering where I was going to put the eyes. So I filled in everything as flats and found an interesting spot at the nexus of all the stalks to put in as the eyes. Did those the same way I did the eyes for the Koil Master, and did the top leaf as well.




Hmm... the flats though looks boring, but at least the eyes were in and the cups are now beginning to look like arms and hands with the middle one being the foot. Well, those leaves that are still flat were bothering me, so in between chatting with people on gEngine and dealing with BugLaden regarding server problems there, I continued shading the rest of the leaves until about 6 hours after I started colouring I had this:




All it was now missing was a background. It's a pity I didn't have my backgrounds then, so I had to wait a bit until I got to the computer with my files. Then it was just an easy thing to select a ground and a sky from some of Holmberg's stuff and resize/blur them as the background. The image still looked a bit weird, so I added a shadow (which I learnt how to do when I was colouring Dion) and voila, the final picture:


So that's art by Hicks/Nov with backgrounds courtesy Holmberg. That's not the end of the story though since this picture has to be made into a card. This is the first Naroom Promo that I'm making and although I don't normally worry about rarity in the sets, the Promos are a different story and I had to find the correct template for it. Then I realised that the image wouldn't fit properly since it is a creature, with the extra wide rectangular template, so that had to change as well. It took a bit more time than the 5 minutes for the background to template the card, but at the end of the day I finally managed it and the final card that will be going up to gEngine:


The current card text is designed by Mark Piccarezzi, and it will probably change as it gets put through the paces for Tainted Glimpses playtesting. The final thing to do with the card would be to add the black border and the card text and it should be finished as a card.

So that's MND Card Making 101 for all you guys out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home