Monday, March 07, 2005

Shadowsfall gets dicey

I had a conversation with both my partners in crime here yesterday regarding SP yesterday and mentioned that I'd like to build a weenie Fiergo deck just to test out how things work. Well, I haven't built that, but I did mention that Auriolis is on my danger list, while Vintok is definately slated for a change. Two magi I did say I'd test though are Arasyn and Gort'n with their dice abilities, they seem to go well together.

So fast forward a day and I'm building my deck. I already have 2 magi, but needed to find a third. There aren't that many Core magi to choose from anyways and Ogar, with her dice power, seemed natural in the deck so she got added. And as to order, I did want to actually play the SP magi, so they went first. Arasyn got to go first since she had the higher starting energy, just in case I get to go first, while Gort'n, who needed a bit more of a boost, went second weith Ogar bringing up the rear.

The deck itself wasn't too difficult. Loaded dice and Fate's Whimsys are a must. Chaos Sphere just for the dice theme. Start Urhail for Arasyn - the tremor stones is gonna end up as a waste since I'm playing with Loaded dice. Gort'n is just going ot get a Fate Whimsy, the other 2 of her starting cards are a waste, and a Ugger and Chaos Jile for Ogar. 3 Szalaks because of the dice ability and since I'm adding energy there, a Trask. Now since the Trask is in, I might as well play 3 Rous, 3 Zungg, 3 Ravelled Drush and since I seem to have a whole deck of weenies, 3 Wudges. See, any deck I build these days ends up to be a weenie deck. 2 Agram's staff so that I can play a thunderquake, an amulet of ombor and a gate to ombor, a crystal lights, maelstrom, vaporise and a turn completes out the core tricks. Rayje's belt just to lockdown anything nasty if need be. No hand protection there, nor spell discard which are the main drawbacks of the deck, but oh well, I don't expect to win with the deck.

I got BobbyDoc to play a game, he used one of his weaker decks that runs 3 Rayje's a whole host of nasty non-universal creatures. So I started first and got to play almost my entire hand of only one creature. Played the Urhail, then used the loaded dice and a fate's whimsy to make the next creature played lose 4 energy. Right, Rayje got flipped, grabbed a boots and a jewel and a construct and it's curtains for the Urhail. Arasyn only lasted 2 more turns as the construct got dream balmed back to life again and again. Oh well.

Gort'n flipped and grabbed the whimsy and played the chaos sphere. Rolling for her energize is weird, but at energize 2 base, she's wasn't too bad even with rolls of 2s and 3s. Bobby then had Granas out and played a Nightmare channel, which effective made her energize equal to the roll for the next few turns. Bobby played conservatively, while I laid out a Szalak each turn, followed with the trask and the drush. By the time Bobby's rayje's belt hit, I had 2 huge Szalak, 1 huge Trask and 1 huge Ravelled Drush in play. He proceeded to lockdown Szalak's power, but it was a bit too late. I just kept up the pressure and got rid of the 2 Granas and then his first magi. So much for that Rayje. Bobby flipped his second Rayje, did something illegal then ran into a crash and the game ended. Oh well.

Overall I like the 2 magi. I still think Gort'n's energize is a bit too high at 2, but after playing with it for a while it feels right, just like Wawek's felt right at 1. Arasyn is a bit on the weak side, but her power more tha makes up for her low energize. I'm going to swap out the Tremor Stones for the Crystal Lights though, to give her more of a story and to up her by a bit more. She'd be useless against creatureless decks though.

I haven't gone out of my way to break these cards, although I've got a weird idea in mind for them - I don't think anything that deals with dice can be broken (by too much), especially in MND where the random effect of dice can be a curse more than a blessing. These two magi gets my stamp of approval to get on the "tested" and "approved" list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home