Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Twin Simulacrums

Last tournament, I fell three games short of completion. With a game today, you could say that I am at the same point this month. Before doing laundry and getting ready for work, I logged into gEngine to see about getting a game in. Things weren't too busy, so I browsed around the internet for a bit. During that time, NKX logged in and we were able to play a game.

NKX started first with the Dark Twins. They pulled Entomb, Corrupt, and Core Grag as starters and then filled the hand to seven. They used Entomb on Cataclysm, attached Corrupt to their magi, and put Warrada's Ring into play. This was an awesome opening for NKX. With Tiller as my first magi, I knew I would need to use the Weeblit to dispose of a Weebo I would lose to the Corrupt. With two of my starting cards needed to overcome the problem at hand, I also played the Vortex of Knowledge to give me a little more to work with. Scrounging one of my other relics gave a good opening with Furok and the Weebo. With a somewhat impressive nine energy Furok in play at the end of my turn, I played things somewhat conservative since I had good reason to be wary of a Cataclysm at any moment I played into one. NKX responded with a Rayje's Belt and Core Grag. With only one creature on my side, NKX kept the grag in play and belted Tiller's Scrounge. Over the next several turns, Forest Wudge and Evu's Plaything would put some pressure on the Dark Twins. Bythan's Gift to the relic turned creature would leave a rather large Furok in play. NKX followed up with another Entomb, this time for Shockwave and took out the Furok. After several turns going back and forth, the twins were starting to take a small beating and a Naroom swarm was well under way. I was playing things out a lot more. With Robes of the Ages and Warrada's Ring in play, NKX played a cheap Maelstrom followed with Cataclysm to take out Tiller. They only had to ditch one universal relic from their hand. Evil Evu tossed down as big as I could manage. An Ember Hyren hit the Core Grag in play to reduce the threat of its power. After a pause, NKX chose to play Blight. Evil Evu gained one energy, but his swarm took quite the hit. NKX attacked with the Core Grag to eliminate the Forest Jile. With the mutual death of creatures, Evil Evu started into card draw. This helped Evil Evu get the edge on the twins. Warrada, Simulacrum flipped next. By using Tomes of the Great Library, they were able to pull off another Cataclysm. Evil Evu was stretched a little thin, but with one Wasperine in hand, I watched as they debated after having played Secrets of the Book whether to use its power. If they had, the Simulacrum would've been left with only three energy. Fortunately, they chose to wait. I did get in the free hit with the Wasperine. Warrada would then toss down two good creatures, both too big for the Wasperine. A Crushing Roots couldn't take one out, but it did setup the defeat with Wasperine. With only one energy left on Wasperine, I used Bythan's Gift to make the Furok I played very big. The simulacrum energized, and looking fairly safe, did not play any creatures out. With the Furok bigger than the one Core creature still facing off against it, all I had to do was rush in two Wasperines and NKX declared, "gg."

Discussing things a little afterwards, NKX admitted that this deck wasn't their first choice. They had built a Naroom/Arderial deck with Niffer but had chosen in the end not to use the deck since Sorreah could easily shutdown Niffer and other key magi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home