Thursday, July 20, 2006

Disconcerting Naroom

Yesterday, I played against YT Sno and their Twilight War Disconcert Deck. I went first with Tryn and didn't realize that Tryn's Flute wasn't a starting card for her. After shuffling my hand back into my deck, I didn't get any copy of the flute. Oh, well. Tryn started off with playing a Flame Rudwot and Leaf Hyren. After bouncing and their powers and Tryn's, both were five energy or greater. YT Sno started off with O'Qua and summoned a Sea Barl with conjure. With two Wellisks in play, O'Qua was in modest shape. Except Crushing Roots and Burning Branches from Flame Rudwot setup O'Qua for a quick defeat. Playing a Flying Hinko before using any of the powers to add energy started Tryn into some extra energy gains. Woot rushed in with 2 Wasperine Stalkers and a Wasperine. He struck at Tryn and one of her creatures. The extra two energy on the stalkers required Tryn to pay a heavy price to do some serious damage. Playing a Lumber Hyren helped Tryn in her energy mechanics going on. The Flying Hinko was netting some good energy. Woot played out nothing on his next turn, so it was an easy sweep for Tryn, and she added a Energy Band to my mix of stuff. After Woot went down in defeat, it was up to Keelie to pull off the Disconcert tactics of YT Sno's deck. With a Lumber Hyren and other creatures, Keelie was looking quite good. Unable to add energy to my creatures, it hurt. So, Keelie survived by a one energy Lumber Hyren. Crushing Roots on my Flying Hinko was over due at this point, but it didn't save Keelie. That one energy Lumber Hyren was now a four energy creature just perfect for me to crush in return. It was my first taste of Disconcert. I never did get Tryn's Flute into my hand before the game was over.

A little bit later yesterday, YT Sno and I had a rematch. They had made some changes to their deck, and I chose to go with my second playtest deck. A similar deck, but with some alterations to test some of the same Twilight Cards in a little different way. With Tryn's Flute being a relic, I thought it appropriate to also test it in a Tiller deck, a magi already known for good card draw.

Again, I went first. YT Sno thought this was bad luck. When I put Vortex of Knowledge into my hand, it was not just bad luck. It was double bad luck. Granted, a hand full of relics and spells isn't ideal for Naroom. By the time Tiller used Vortex of Knowledge and scrounged one of the relics, I only had two creatures in my hand. The starting Weebo and a Forest Hyren. A powerful combo to start with. In the hopes of correcting what I considered a bad hand, I put Tryn's Flute into play as well. It left Tiller with two big creatures and little energy on himself. Rayje would start off with his construct and a Nightmare Construct. Rayje's Construct would pound out Tryn's Flute and draw a card. Weebo and Forest Hyren would bounce their powes off each other a second time and then attack to eliminate the opposing creatures. Lumber Hyren would finish off Rayje. So, once again Woot is up quickly. YT Sno stated that the lack of an Ormagon leaves Woot a bit short in what he's supposed to be doing. However, Disconcert would unsettle things for me again. With only a five energy Forest Hyren still in play, and not energizing until the end of the turn, it was easy to sacrifice Tiller. After using his power to scrounge for more cards, the Forest Hyren went away by attacking a Wasperine Stalker. Using the Tomes of the Great Library, Woot played another Disconcert. Tryn flipped over and played out two Flying Hinkos and a Giant Carillion with her starting energy. Giant Carillion stomped the only creature Woot still had. Woot would crush one of the Flying Hinkos and add energy to his fresh new creature. Without another Disconcert hanging over her head, Tryn would use Bythan's Gift to make her surviving Flying Hinko good sized by adding in her own power as well. After attacking and defeating Woot, she played out the rest of her energy into two Flame Rudwot. They bounced their powers to one to each and two energy to Tryn from the hinko. Keelie would use Relic Stalker on Tryn's Flute, play a Book of Life, two Lumber Hyren, a Stagadan, and a Weebo. There was a Robe of the Ages as well. While the Book of Life wasn't used, it was nice to see how the Disconcert lock could be pulled off between that and the Tomes of the Great Library. Lumber Hyren and Weebo would use their powers to net some energy gains for Keelie between her own effect and the basic fact that the combo ends with a three energy Weebo, which is one up from where it started. While the Lumber Hyren did remove the two energy that Tryn had, these Naroom powers triggered the Flying Hinko and restored the lost energy. Two copies of Crushing Roots by Tryn eliminated the Weebo and the Stagadan. With Tryn's creatures using powers and getting very big, it was called as a good game at that point. YT Sno apologized that I didn't get to see the power of the Disconcert lock. And while I did have the flute in play twice this game, it never saw more than one turn each time.

This makes for testing on two of my eight TW Naroom decks. Yes, I went a little nuts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home