Monday, February 20, 2006

Waterfalls

My third game for the tournament ended up being with godofchaos. Sunday night I had a little time to play.

Aula Mindseeker went first. I got a hand full of creatures. Not bad, just no Sea Barl. When I want to draw like mad with Aula, this scared me. Thinking I could try and salvage something, I used her power with the starting Typhoon and netted a Submerge and Undertow. She would end up tossing down big with a Coral Hyren and Sarazen Keeper. Between the Keeper and Submerge, she had two big creatures in play. Godofchaos played out a Crystal Arboll, Parmalag, and an Urhail. Crystal Arboll used its power to bless the Parmalag. This left Motash with a bit of energy and two big creatures in play by the end of the turn. Undertow took out the Parmalag, and my two creatures slammed into the opposition to take out Motash swiftly. I had two energy to spare, so I was hoping to play out another Sarazen Keeper after I energized and draw into the deck a little more before Aula went down. This would not be. Godofchaos flipped over Fossik Ringsmith and used Crushing Fungus. With both a Parmalag and Rabid Bisiwog in play, I chose to attack the Parmalag and hope for an Undertow or Tidal Wave since there should be good odds at one or the other in my deck, or sufficient card draw to net them. It was a gamble, but both those Underneath creatures make for a powerful offensive. Without my energize, Aula couldn't do much else. What meager card draw I did have in hand, I couldn't even play, and none of the other two Typhoons were in sight. Fossik took out Aula in the next turn. With Crystal Jile to help Fossik with energy, a Trogovo would help him net a bunch of cards. Quilla would be my last hope at this point. Using an Orlon's Ring deck with her high energize is where this deck can excel. I was crossing my fingers and hoping for an Underneath relic to steal and nab a couple cards with Karak Necklace. It wouldn't be. Quilla placed out two Sarazen Keeper and a Wellisk. I drew two cards with the powers at hand and hoped to net something useful. This is when Sea Barl appeared. Ouch! I could've used it before the play creature step. Fossik would crush the Wellisk and attack to eliminate both the Sarazen with just the Rabid Bisiwog (I did see that coming, but the crushing was the icing on the cake). While some Orlon's Ring energy gains saved Quilla from defeat then and there. She was short on energy to play much of anything. Unable to energize, I declared “gg” on my next turn. I had to laugh. All my massive card draw to help smooth out the deck and it didn't show until the very end. When it was too late, I finally had Sea Barl, plus Deep Barl and Owinda's Gift in my hand. A perfect combo for all the card draw I try to do.... I usually play Sea Barl without the other stuff just because this deck works that way. It was a fun loss. Quick game. Lots of fun. Everything was so entertaining.

The only problem was reporting the game results for the tournament. The report tab on gatlingEngine only listed the last three names in the tournament roster, none of which was what I needed.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At February 25, 2006 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Dartax, i have seen your articles on Deck Tech and I wanted to know if you have any advise at fighthing mass energy discard Cald decks.

Thank you for your time

 

Post a Comment

<< Home