Saturday, February 04, 2006

Trees In A Blizzard

It was fun to get in another game of Magi-Nation. While I hope that the card game does make a comeback in the next year or so, I don't intend to stop playing or hold my breathe in anticipation. With the online testing of Twilight War around the corner, I plan to keep on going for now as if it isn't going to reappear. To that end, I imported a few of my old Naroom decks to help give myself a reference on how the new cards might change the environment.

The first deck I added was my anti-Core deck. It was built just prior to Leaf Chogo, so it only features Tillant and some good ol' Naroom tricks to try and claim some strength versus Core. The heart of the deck is Tiller and Yaki, supported by Pruitt on the end. This deck held its own against some of the early illusion decks when d'Resh first appeared at the local gaming store. I thought it might be interesting to see if it still works.

Well, today, I went online for a little and managed to meet promiseofcure, a player that I don't think I've played before. They offered to play a game, and I took that anti-Core, Naroom deck. Promiseofcure went first and flipped over Odavast. An Essence of Frost on that first turn could prove hurtful for Tiller. I actually got lucky with a Relic Stalker in the opening hand. Tiller stalked the Nar relic and then drew like usual. I may have come up short on creatures, but it was good enough to get at least a Wasperine to eliminate the Mombak which was no longer frozen. Using the Weebo and Bythan's Gift, the lone Tree Hinko I had in play was very good sized. Crystallize would keep it sitting calmly on my side of the battlefield. Wasperines were my friends, and so was a Giant Carillion. Combined with the Weebo blessed by another Bythan's Gift, the power Stomp would get several Nar critters. Fortunately, the Weebo would run out of energy after a few turns and was no longer able to restore the behemoth. Tiller would work his way through Odavast gaining some momentum. He didn't appear to be out of control yet when Fray appeared on the scene. Fortunately for Tiller, he had put a little Forest Wudge into play. Fray would play out several creature and Refract. This Nar spell forced Tiller to choose some slightly different tactics. Tap Roots would soften up the Yaromant, which was at nine energy because of an Ice Arboll. Warrior's Boots would allow Tiller to spend most of his energy on an Alpine Xamf. Furok took the Mombak after Tree Hinko took the first swing at the Yaromant. With both Naroom creatures still in play, the Giant Carillion would wait until after the play creatures step to get the last of the Nar creatures, and with it defeat Fray. This cost me the Giant Carillion, but with the Forest Wudge in great shape and Orlon's Ring adding energy, Tiller was probably out of control. Laranel would toss down two Yaromant and another Ice Arboll. Promiseofcure declared at the end of their turn that I had won but they would not concede. That attitude put a smile on my face. I expect that when we have our rematch someday, that I should expect a fierce battle and likely loss for myself. Anyways, Tiller used Bythan's Gift so that I had two creatures at eleven energy, a Furok and Forest Wudge, plus a few others still in play. A couple attacks later, Tiller won the game.

And, yes, I did draw some of those Tillants. Tiller's power placed the Tillants easily into the discard pile.

Strange, this is the first deck I have a record of using Tiller. I used to avoid this magi like he was some sort of bad disease. Even after this deck, I went two more deck designs (Flying Hinko and Flood of Energy) without him before my recent collection of Naroom deck builds using him quite so heavily. By the way, I did add the Flying Hinko-Forest Hyren deck as well the Flood of Energy deck to gatlingEngine too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home