Monday, January 30, 2006

Flight Cancelled... or at the very least delayed...

Someone gave me the moniker "Mr. MND" a while back. Heh, I wish that was true, but it's not... not really anyways. I'm just the most public face for anything MND related, well, online anyways. Some days if I wonder if that's a good thing.

Perhaps you've noticed that I've put Exodus Flight on a permanent hiatus, and have iced everything else after that. Perhaps not. Not a lot of people would care anyways... and not a lot of people know what Exodus Flight is anyways. I have mentioned what it is many times elsewhere, so I won't repeat it here again. Suffice to say, this is just a quick explaination as to why I have decided to do this and I'll lay it down in a simple numbered format.

1) I'm running out of artwork. Not many people realise it, but I have had to beg and plead and borrow most of the artwork for the custom cards, and where there is none, I had to create my own for them. That takes time and energy and I'm beginning to wonder if my time and energy would be better spent elsewhere.

2) I'm losing interest in the game. It's a bit ironic that the custom cards and the online tournaments that's suppose to kindle interest for everyone else is making me lose interest in the game. There is just no surprise for me anymore. I'm don't look forward to any custom card because by the time they are playable, I would probably have spent more time than everyone else combined on those cards. Likewise, since I'm organising the online tournaments, I can't join in the fun. So I lose out on both counts.

3) Time is precious. Perhaps my time can be spent elsewhere doing things I want instead of trying to keep everyone else happy.

4) The game is dead... and interest is waning despite (or because?) of my involvement in trying to keep the game alive. The number of online monthly tournament games for instance has declined from over 30 at the height of things just a few months ago to less than 10 recently.

5) The game may be revived in a few months time... which would probably make all the custom cards irrelevant... or worse, they could send a not so polite letter requesting the shut down of all custom cards. Either way, the custom cards would be as good as gone.

I'm tired, and perhaps a little bit of the game as well. Several incidents recently about the custom cards have been disheartening. Also, I've also put up with almost 2 years of negative comments regarding the custom cards - I think there comes a point when I don't think I want to take anymore of it just to make my life easier (and that would be bad for the custom cards since constructive negative critique is often the best form of help for the custom cards). The negative reactions and the lack of positive encouragement indicates to me that I should probably do something I would like to do for a change.

And as to the future of MND? Well, as I said a few years ago... the game is still there, there's still a whole library of cards, both custom and official. As long as someone plays it, it will still be kept alive, if only just. Then there's always the hope that the new animated series will rocket the game into popularity once more.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At April 19, 2006 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man thats sad stuff :(
I loved the customs, I really got sad when you "fixed" that photo card, but it was broken (i guess)
I'd still love to see a Naroom/Bog magi. I never did scan in my drawing of it then I lost it.
I could run the tourment if you wanted to play or I'm sure Mal could do it?
I still would love to see new stuff, if the actual thing comes out It would be a shame if they shut down ur stuff.
Take care Nov!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home