Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Second Best?

I was just thinking the other day about something that perplexes me somewhat. There seems to be an invisible line that custom-card players won't wanna cross for some reason and I wonder why that line is thus drawn. Lemme illustrate this.

Suppose I was to design a new Brub in a new set. I add in some power or effect that is similar to the original Brub. Obviously it'll be a bit powerful. People will use it right? Well, if it works for them they will try it out. Now let me add "Alternate Brub" to the subtitle, will it still be used? I think so because alternate creatures really isn't a big deal particularly if they are better than their original Parent. How about if I reuse the picture from the original card somewhat, will people still use it? I guess so, I mean people use Grim Pyder in their decks eventhough that's just a recoloured Pyder.

What happens though when I name this new Brub as "Brub" - P2C as in to put it into Project Second Chance custom set? Suddenly it seems people shy away from using the card. Why? It's a custom card. The only difference between "Brub" - P2C and a "Custom Brub" is name is slightly different and the "Custom Brub" will probably use a recoloured image. That is what is perplexing me. I guess each player probably have their own reasons for not wishing to change and play with a P2C card.

I really wanted P2C to work because I'm running out of images for future card expansions and reusing existing card images as part of P2C is a new way of making new custom cards without having to worry about the images. Due to the lackluster response on the Custom Card Forums though, it makes me wonder if it's even viable to go this route. A review of Awakenings is up next, but I think I might scratch that unless there is at least 6 people who post their interest or something.

Nevertheless, as promised previously, all the 9 P2C cards have been added to gEngine for play. The usual rules apply - make sure you ask your opponents if it's OK with them if you played with these cards before you actually play with them and get people steamed and everything. Please try not to drive away the new players however much they may complain or act high-and-mighty. Unlike what I posted previously, I'll only make these cards custom legal early next year so there's a 2 week period for people to actually play with them and stuff - they won't be boosted in power though as I'm rather comfortable with the power-ups that was given to them as part of P2C.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home