Tuesday, January 23, 2007

How the Super has fallen!

New computer, no decks.

The only deck I can easily throw together is my LE-Weave deck. So I did that and as I finished Doug popped in and asked me for a game. So why not... I figured... it'd be fun to lose to Super Tony.

I went first and got my Uwamar as usual. The other 4 cards were all creatures which I played with ease. Doug flipped Eryss and proceeded to draw massive amounts of cards leaving a 6e Fog Hyren, a 4e Poison Baloo Root and a 4e N'kala. During my next turn (Turn 3), I could have got rid of Eryss since I had a Brushfire and a Beam of Light in hand, but it would mean sacrificing all the creatures I have in play that could attack, clogging up my hands with creatures I couldn't play since I played the spells and drawing close to nothing. Instead, I chose to play it safe and keep Eryss for an extra turn while I laid out my creatures and drew more cards.

Eryss did close to nothing on the next turn (Turn 4) which lead me to suspect she was being used as a draw magi. She went down fast in Turn 5 and I had 2 massive Uwamars out at this point of over 20e. Aula, Minseeker was revealed in Turn 6 with her starting cards and Doug drew another 4 cards without playing any creatures. Bad choice of 2nd draw magi IMO, and she went down fast in Turn 7, at which point Doug taunted me if I was ready for his next magi.

My heart fell when indeed Tony Jones was revealed during Turn 8, but hey, it was only a fun game right? I started the turn with 5 cards in hand and about 14 creatures in play, one of them a Frusk and 1e on my magi. Doug proceeded to play his relics and spells and 2 constructs and did all sorts of crazy things including massive draw and massive energy gain with FoE, Jasker's and Bog Pit. An Ormagon took out my swarm. Major Ouch! But it also took out his Constructs as well as he did not have the Quill in play then. Thanks to all those cards he played, I ended the turn with 21e on LE, 21 cards in hand, but no creatures in play and no cards in my deck because I drew them all. Oh well. Doug had a whole bunch of relics, but no creatures and 8e left on Tony Jones.

During my go in Turn 9, I booted in a Zassyfer and if I had a Weave Seed in hand it would be game, but I didn't. I scratched Tony for 3e with the Zassyfer, then played an Uwamar and a Grass Etiki. Thanks to the Grass Etiki, I warped down all my weave creatures to play all 21 cards in my hand including another Frusk, Uwamar Beads and Weave Hut. The latter 2 was to be my saviour.

Turn 10 saw more crazy relics being played by Doug, including the Alaban Gloves and Abraxin's Crown and Abwyn's Quill. Book of Life + Book of Ages means a 15 energy gain for him with a FoE, but that gave me 10 as well. He discarded Uwamar Beads with the newly played construct's Pound and did a few other things. At one point during this turn he was on 40 with a 5e construct, I was on 36, and he attempted a Syphon Vortex on my magi. I triggered the Weave Hut to make it do nothing and he behaved rather cordial at accepting this major mistake. I offered him the chance to take it back at which point he gleefully typed in "Cancel" and then used the vortex on my 25e Uwamar. Oh well, the Uwamar couldn't attack anyways, and thanks to the cards he was playing, I had drawn 11 cards to make it 16 in hand and 36 on my Magi. He ended the turn with a 5e Construct and a 30e Tony Jones in play while I had my swarm of a dozen creatures in play, most of them with 1e or 2e. Would that be enough?

A Weave Path brought back an Uwamar, the only creature in my discard pile at that point, making it 13 creatures in play. Uh Oh? Kesia's Flute did a quick weave to give me a gain of 5e, but is that enough? A quick count revealed that I had more energy on my side of the table, but 4 of those were on creatures that could not attack. The creatures that could attack though had less than 35 energy. Will Tony Jones live another day?

A 4e bungaloo attacked the 5e construct, weaving itself so that it was at 5e and then going out, giving it's additional 2e to another Bungaloo. Had I been thinking though, I would have attacked with all 3 of my bungaloos, weaving them down so that I would gain 6e on my creatures thanks to Flee. But that was not to be. The remaining creatures attacked Tony Jones weaving energy away from the creatures that could not attack and removed - get this - exactly 30 energy. Had Doug had a Spirit of Rayje in play, he would have lived for another turn thanks to my mistake with the Bungaloos. He only had 3 cards in hand and Spirit of Rayje wasn't one of them so I won.

Wow. And I mean wow. A deck quickly thrown together in 2 minutes took out one of the most powerful decks currently online. There's a screenshot on the CCGW forums of the endgame.

I suggested 2 cards to Doug - Orwin's Gaze to get back the Ormagon and the Orothe relic that allows powers on relics to be used twice. He said the Orothe relic won't work, and since I don't really remember that relic, I guess he's right. I think he's gonna add the Orwin's Gaze though... The other card he could have added is the universal relic that copies relics... but I don't exactly remember that card as well.

I had Pineneedles and Photosynthesis in the deck, but never got to use the properly. Photosynthesis was just discarded for Channeler's gloves for energy gain instead. I was also testing out Speag Sprouts, but since Doug never attacked, I didn't get a feel for that card.

Doug thanked me for the text on Bog Pit at the beginning of the game which made me wonder what he's got up his sleeve. I found out during the game though. Bog Pit is getting an errata perhaps soonish with the addition of just one word to the text.

I enjoyed the game, it was a Challenge taking out Tony Jones, after Doug gave up on 2 attempts trying to take out my first magi. Had he played the Ormagon first thing when he flipped Tony, he might have got the win, but somehow, I don't think he started the turn with the Ormagon in hand. Had he an Orwin's Gaze in hand during his next turn, the game would have gone on longer. I think he wasn't trying really hard to defeat me somehow. The reverse was not true though, because I really wanted to give him a good game and defeat the (almost) Tony Jones. I did it, without the use of Weave Seed, which I never drew when facing Tony Jones. The only customs that I used of any consequence were Weave Path, but that played such a minor role that even if it was substituted for a non-Custom card, the outcome of the game would still be the same.

And I was playing the weakest of the 5 swarms. Imagine what a Naroom or Arderial or Bograth or Paradwyn swarm would do to Tony Jones. I'd like to see that happen!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 23, 2007 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please dont errata bog pit. Its fine as it is, if it losses the combo, one of the more fun/complex decks I have will be ruined. :(
The deck does and typicaly will fail the turn after it does all the combos it can do - if I dont get there first magi I'm pretty much gone. If I do- the next Magi gets me, any relic removal kills the combo, and at most - I've had 3 constucts out. I've seen my whole board wiped and Tony left with a ton of engery, but no cards to do anything with.
I will be adding in the Gaze, thats a heck-of-a-card to add in! but plessse dont neter the bog pit! :) thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home