Thursday, January 18, 2007

Newbie Rules?

I played a game at the beginning of this week that I haven't been sure how I should write about it. My opponent showed some skills that led me to believe they were a beginner, yet quoted the rule book to defend their actions. It was frustrating for me. I went first with Chayla. My Flood of Energy deck is decent, but I certainly don't consider it my strongest deck. I did the standard opening with Rabbage and Eebit. When they flipped Dark Twins and retrieved a Naroom Shadow Geyser, I wondered if they were playing some interesting and skilled Shadow Geyser deck. Matching it with a Gia Pet seemed an interesting choice. While they got my Eebit with a spell, I already got a lucky draw on my second Eebit. When I played this second Eebit on my next turn, they asked how I was drawing more than one card in my turn. I pointed out Chayla's effects. When I would later play two Flood of Energy with Chayla, they tried telling me that Gia Pet would gain energy too. My argument was that my spells don't stay in play. While they didn't actually add energy to Gia Pet then, it would be later when I tried to using Crushing Roots on Gia Pet that would call out the “Effect – Power Syphon” again. It was frustrating, to have some rules lawyering going on. I was fairly certain that it was a typo on Gia Pet. Everything else in the wording of that “effect” had to do with a spell in play, and not with a spell being played. Anyways, while it canceled the crushing spell since the spell would now remove the same four energy the Gia Pet gained, it didn't save Gia Pet, or the Dark Twins in the end. Yes, I wasn't being too nice by this point. I think that by the end of the game they may have finally realized that the effects of both the Dark Furok and Orok don't actually allow those two creatures to take half damage in attacks.

By the way, eventually I would dig up my one copy of Gia Pet. Magi-Nation seems to have ended up as my bottom box of cards in the closet, it has been that long since I've done anything with my physical collection. And yes, Gia Pet has one effect and one power, “Power – Power Syphon.”

No screen capture.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 19, 2007 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

worst yet, I had a game end mid-game - the guy kicked me out saying I won- later, my friend had someone quit mid game.
And oh yeah, Gia can not play any relic she wants. -_-;
sigh. Oh, and Customs are FUN to play with! >_<

 

Post a Comment

<< Home